First Presbyterian Church

Categories

Church

About Us

As early as 1809, plans were made to erect a church building. The Reverend Colin McIver, stated clerk of the Session, was appointed to make a Northern And Southern excursion to solicit funds. From his “Northern Excursion”, he collected $293.00. Among the contributors to this sum were James Monroe, President of the United States ($25.00), George Washington Campbell, Ambassador to Russia ($10.00), and John Quincy Adams, Secretary of the State ($10.00). His “Southern Excursion” netted $55.00.

During the pastorate of the Reverend Jesse H. Turner, the cornerstone of the original church was laid, April 21, 1816. This building was used continuously for church services and civic gatherings until the Great Fire of May 29, 1831, destroyed the church and over six hundred homes and businesses in the village.

Rep/Contact Info

Michael Garrett
Pastor

Greater Fayetteville Chamber