Cumberland County Health Department
The Department of Public Health provides an array of services to the citizens of the County.
Federal, State and County tax money fund the Health Department. Grants and fees for services generate additional funds. The Health Department is governed by the Cumberland County Board of Health, which is composed of up to eleven members appointed by the Board of Commissioners.
The Health Department was founded in 1911 as the Cumberland County/Fayetteville City Board of Sanitation and Health, but it had no paid employees. In 1923, a part-time physician and two nurses were hired as the first paid employees.
The Public Health Center is located at 1235 Ramsey Street and operates three satellite offices throughout the County.